Friday 2 March 2018

FRIDAY FOTO 5 - CINEMA ADVERTISING - BETTY WELSH

 Betty Welsh - Hotel Sahara

A photo of my aunt, Betty Welsh, dressed in a skimpy costume and standing next to an advertising board which stood in the foyer of the Gaumont cinema, Princes Park, Liverpool.

It was common during the 1940's and 50's for such advertising to be seen, giving details of movies which were 'coming soon' to the cinema chain. Local advertising companies would sometimes be called in to create the items, which might then be passed on from cinema to cinema.

On whose idea it was to dress my aunt in a skimpy costume, I have no information at all. I only found this photo after she passed away and we were sorting through her effects. 

For all movie fans out there, the film itself was released in 1951 and starred Yvonne De Carlo, Peter Ustinov and David Tomlinson (see link below). 

 Hotel Sahara - IMDB Link

I might see if I can get hold of it, buy some popcorn and enjoy a night at the movies!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment